GSMISTS Forever Green Project
The Girl Scouts of Michigan Shore to Shore has chosen to take on the issue of plastic waste for our 100th Anniversary Girl Scout Forever Green (GSFG ) Project. Girl Scouts around the world are switching to reusable bags and bottles as they learn about how plastic waste affects the environment.
Our global Forever Green Project is making mats for Haiti using plastic store grocery bags. The mats will not only help protect items being shipped to Haiti for disaster relief, but will also be used in schools, orphanages, medical centers and community gatherings to improve sanitary conditions as well as adding comfort.
Because this is our 100th Anniversary Year, our goal is to make 100 mats for 100 years! We're also hoping to have 100% of our member take the Forever Green Pledge by December 2012 and to get 25% of our membership to engage in GSFG projects.
Get Involved - How YOU Can HELP:
We want all our girls, adults, alumnae and community members to get involved - and it's easy! Follow these simple steps to start making a difference.
- Step One: Take the Girl Scout Forever Green Pledge (click button above).
- Step Two: Start collecting plastic bags from friends, family, the community, etc. Bags need to be folded, not stuffed into other bags.
- Step Three: Find people who already crochet or would like to learn. Talk with people about the project and what you are doing, asking if they would like to be involved!
- Step Four: Bring the collected bags to your regional location on the official drop off day (see dates below). Help us on this day to cut bags, prepare bags and also learn how to crochet plastic bags into mats. Mats can also be made at home and brought back to the regional location by April 21, 2012.
- Step Five: Register your project at www.girlscouts.org/forevergreen and celebrate the completion of our Forever Green Project with us at our Annual Meeting, April 28, 2012!
Instructions on Making Mats
Regional Drop-off Locations & Dates
February 25, 2012, 2 PM - 4:30 PM Hudson Township Hall (07865 Reynolds Road, Elmira)
February 25, 2012, 9 AM - 12 PM Aquinas College - Donnelly Center (1607 Robinson Road SE, Grand Rapids)
February 25, 2012, 9 AM - 12 PM Traverse City Service Center (1820 Oak Hollow Drive, Traverse City)
March 3, 2012, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM Peace Lutheran Church (3708 Old US Highway 27 S, Gaylord)
March 3, 2012, 9 AM - 12 PM District #4 Health Department (100 Woods Circle Suite 200, Alpena)
March 3, 2012, 2 PM - 5 PM Ravenna Baptist Church (3186 Blackmer Road, Ravenna)