Ambassadors will become experts in their government and the roles of the officials they’ll help elect.
WHAT THEY'LL LEARN:
When girls have earned this badge, they’ll have learned more about their local, state, and national governments—and they’ll be ready to use that knowledge to inform their voting.
Girl Scouts of Michigan Shore to Shore Tips and Resources
Michigan 2020 Women's Right to Vote Centennial Patch Program: In 2020, Girl Scouts across Michigan will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment – the constitutional amendment that gave women the right to vote. GSMISTS honors this milestone with the Michigan 2020 Women’s Right to Vote Centennial Patch. Girls can earn this patch by learning about the suffragists who fought for years for the right to vote.
Democracy for Girl Scouts with the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Foundation: Learn about the different ways you can learn about our government and the opportunities provided to Girl Scouts. Not in the Grand Rapids area? No problem! We'll discuss virtual civic education programs for your troop!
A Message from Mayor Bliss: Hey there Girl Scouts! Grand Rapids Mayor Rosalynn Bliss has a message for you about civic engagement.
On-Demand Program with the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Foundation: Offers "Write Your Rep!" program for troops to schedule at a time that works best. Program is FREE.
1. Find out about local government
2. Find out about state government
3. Find out about the federal legislative branch
4. Find out about the federal executive branch
5. Find out about the federal judicial branch
PLAN YOUR MEETING:
- Video demonstration: Watch Ambassador Girl Scouts lead Step 5 of this badge.
- Special guest: How Women in Congress Get Things Done (Step 3)
- Special guest: Be a Citizen Changemaker
- Take Civic Action: Promote the Vote! (service project)
- Virtual meeting agenda (PDF): Use this resource to help you adapt the meeting plans found in the Volunteer Toolkit
- Step-by-step planner: Sign-in to the Volunteer Toolkit to find instructions for meeting 1 and meeting 2 of this badge including, materials lists, scripts, meeting aids, and more.